10.18.2010

anthropomorphic songs

maybe it has something to do with being an actor, but I really like anthropomorphic songs. here are the best ones in existence. so maybe I just like when good bands pretend they are objects not people.

"I am a grocery bag" They Might Be Giants. The simplicity of listing lyrics in a grocery bag is really good, but the tone of the song is even better. The voice is exactly how I imagine my grocery bag talking to me. TMBG also had the excellent, if significantly creepier Birdhouse in Your Soul sung from the point of view of a night light.

"Dime" Cake. A song about the trials and tribulations of being a small unit of United States currency. This song is barely anthropomorphic because it is a song sung by a human about what being a dime would be like, not the actual day to day life of a dime. With this loose of rules you could almost include Cake's Satan is My Motor. It would be outrageously narcissistic to post one's favorite song in high school on his blog though.

"Wrecking Ball" Bruce Springsteen. The only song on this list about being a building, specifically Giants Stadium this time last year. It is my favorite recent Springsteen song, I love how the character singing the song seems to be like the "Born to Run" Springsteen 20 years older.

The main reason for this blog post though is a song I recently stumbled across off Pandora. "Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure" The Weakerthans. A song about a cat running away from his drunk and depressed owner and life on the streets of Winnipeg. It includes the lyrics of the cat looking for 'the sound that you found for me' which I thought was the cats name but my friend thought was the sound of a can opening, I cant decide which is right.

"Plea From a Cat Named Virtute" The Weakerthans. Is the prequel to Virtute's departure. When I described this yesterday to Tomm as "a cat complaining about his lame owner" he just said "thats just Garfield." He is right, but this is much better than Garfield, maybe not as good as Garfield Minus Garfield though.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You like anthropomorphic? Try anthropomorphic protein synthesis!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9dhO0iCLww