9.26.2010

frame of reference.

this summer I spent a good deal of time in boston. the first night I was there, I told my brother my main complaint with boston. a lack of straight lines. when I think about boston I see the curving banks of the charles river, which is much different than my experiences with rivers (see: the hillsborough, the los angeles) which are usually tamed by large concrete walls, except when things go wrong. the houses themselves have these curves and flourishes in the northeast, the interiors usually have some amount of clutter, and coat rooms and vestibules, designed to keep out the elements. when I spoke to Ben about it I described it as a city built entirely in serif fonts. when what I really crave is the helvetica-like streets of washington dc.

yesterday I was walking on hillhurst though, and I realized I live in a neighborhood of curving(I live on the right side of that image) streets, above ground power lines, hills and infringing wildlife. objectively I life in a serif landscape, but when I am going about my life, walking to the grocery store, and seeing and old professor (one of the great unexplained characters on the west wing) they all melt away and I live my ideal san serif lifestyle.

___

As a side note: I was cast as Hamlet in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead performing in November in Long Beach with the Alive Theatre. It opens Nov. 5.

3 comments:

ben said...

not a comment on you as much as blogs in general but... your most tagged word is narcissism. Also, JP is more wingdings than Serif or Sans-Serif.

andy wright said...

just trying to keep myself aware. I believe "why cant I work for Ira Glass?" is #2

Unknown said...

I believe you live on the left side of the image. The green area without houses I believe is the park. The Golden State Freeway and the river split the image into left and right. When the freeway and the river reach the end of the mountain they swing west toward Burbank and the valley. That would make Los Feliz the street below the park and unless you are in the Atwater District - you are in the left side of the image